Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Moist, sweet and super delicious! This cake is the perfect sweet treat for morning or afternoon tea. To make this cake school lunchbox friendly, just leave out the walnuts.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup yoghurt
- 2 carrots, grated
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 250gm cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- ½ cup walnut, chopped, for topping
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C and grease or line a round cake pan.
- Whisk the eggs until pale and fluffy and then add in the yoghurt, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and sugar. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda and stir well. Add in the carrot, salt, sultanas and walnuts and combine well.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until completely cooked through. Set aside for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the cream cheese frosting, place all of the ingredients into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth & creamy.
- Once the cake has cooled, spoon the frosting over and use a knife to smooth over evenly. Sprinkle with the extra chopped walnuts.
Rebecca Pope Sydney Food & Lifestyle Blogger https://rebeccapope.com.au/