Cheese-stuffed Meatballs & Zoodles
A little twist on an old family favourite… The melted cheesey goodness is like a party in your mouth, with every bite of the meatball. Deeee-lish! FYI: If you’re wanting some extra carbs, you can definitely swap the zoodles for whole wheat, spelt or pulse pasta.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 200gm cheese, cubed (cheddar, bocconcini, mozzarella)
- 1/2 brown onion, finely diced.
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 700ml passata
- 1 can diced tomato
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil, for frying
- 3 zucchinis, spiralised
- To make the meatballs, place all the meatball ingredients except the cubed cheese, into a large bowl.
- Using your hands, combine all of the ingredients together.
- Scoop out golf ball sized amounts of the mixture and roll lightly to form a ball. Press the cheese into the centre of the ball and seal it up by wrapping it with the meat mixture again. Place the meatballs onto a plate. Repeat the steps with the remaining mixture. If time permits, pop the meatballs into the fridge to set for 10-15minutes before cooking.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sautè for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the passata, diced tomatoes, bay leaves and seasoning. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Add in the meatballs and simmer, covered, on a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until they are cooked through. Make sure you turn the meatballs occasionally, to avoid them sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the heat is turned off, gently stir through the fresh basil and parsley.
- Lastly, steam your zoodles on the stove/microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over the zoodles and top with some parmesan cheese.
Rebecca Pope Sydney Lifestyle Blogger https://rebeccapope.com.au/