Chicken & Leek Pie
A creamy and warming winter lunch or dinner, that’s ready on the table in 40 minutes.
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 50gm butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (mixed in with ¼ cup boiling water)
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley/thyme (or 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, whisked for the egg wash
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200C.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the leeks, garlic and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes or until they have softened. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the oil and chicken. Cook until the chicken is lightly browned, then add back in the leek mixture along with the stock, dijon mustard, cream, herbs and seasoning.
- Simmer on low for 5-7 minutes, then add in the cornflour mixture and stir for 1 minute. Pour the mixture into a die dish. Place the puff pastry sheet on top and trim around the edges. Finally, use your fingers to seal and extend the pastry to the rim of the pie dish. Brush with the egg wash and cut a small slit in the middle, which will help let any air out during the cooking process.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to add in extra chopped veggies, place them in with the buttery leek mixture at the start, to make sure they are thoroughly cooked through.
Rebecca Pope Sydney Food & Lifestyle Blogger https://rebeccapope.com.au/