Chicken, Vegetable & Orzo Soup
Pure comfort food in a bowl! This hearty and immune boosting soup is packed full of vegetables, juicy shredded chicken and filling orzo pasta.
- 500g chicken breast or thigh
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups hard root vegetables (I use potato, sweet potato & carrot)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2.5L chicken stock
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice of ½ a lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 sprigs of fresh herbs (thyme, oregano and/or rosemary)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
- 1 handful chopped parsley, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Place the onion, garlic, hard root vegetables and celery into the pot and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add in the stock, stock cube, lemon juice and zest, herbs, chicken and seasoning, then bring to the boil.
- Once at a gentle boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the orzo pasta and then simmer again for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and place it on a plate. Using two forks gently shred the chicken and then add it back into the pot.
- Lastly, stir in the peas and spinach and simmer for 2 minutes and until the spinach has wilted.
- Discard the sprigs of herbs. To serve, spoon the soup into bowls and serve with warm crusty bread.
Rebecca Pope Sydney Lifestyle Blogger https://rebeccapope.com.au/