Gingerbread Christmas Cookies
These cookies are a favourite amongst the kids! Even better, the kids will love getting involved in the kitchen and baking them with you…
- 130g butter, at room temp
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 and ½ cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- extra: plain flour, for dusting
- Writing Icing
- Cake decorations (Chocolate buttons, smarties, m & m’s, lollies)
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg & continue beating until combined.
- Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb soda.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, place onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Form the dough into a circular shape. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30-40 minutes and until the dough feels firm.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll out until it's about 4-5mm thick. Using cookie cutters, cut out as many gingerbread men as the dough will allow for. I usually get about 20-22 out of the dough.
- Place the gingerbread men onto the lined baking trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, then remove from oven to cool.
- Once they have completely cooled, decorate with chosen toppings.
Rebecca Pope Sydney Food & Lifestyle Blogger https://rebeccapope.com.au/